Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Popularity Contest

The Oscars are coming up as most of us know. There are some amazing films nominated this year, especially documentaries. The Look of Silence is a disturbing look into mind of killers who took part in the Indonesian genocide, Winter On Fire follows the Ukrainian uprising day by day, and Cartel Land is a thrilling story about those who fight back against the cartel. 

All thrilling and important documentaries. Also nominated is Amy, a bio-doc on the singer who died at the age of 27. I must admit I have not seen it like I have the other documentaries but I hope this year does not go the same as 2014.


That year, the best documentary I have ever seen, The Act of Killing, was beat by a feel good show business doc, 20 Feet from Stardom. I could go on forever about how important of a film The Act of Killing was, both socially and artistically. It was the perfect documentary. But unfortunately, the Oscars are a popularity contest. It is likely Amy will win over the other films, but I hope it doesn't.


No comments: