Friday, October 3, 2014

Movie Making On A Budget

Our first projects have been screened and submitted. Now without a blink of an eye our final films start frolicking into our field of vision. While we all viciously scramble for an idea or a crew, allow me to address the real question, is this all even possible? Perhaps I shall rephrase the concern.

Is this all even possible, on a budget?

I've asked a few of our fellow peers how they're affording their projects and... the response?
"My parents gave me five hundred dollars and the assistant directors parents gave us five hundred dollars."

I don't know about you folks, but my folks, aren't wealthy folks. I had to fight every fiber of my being not to throw my hands in the air and say, "WELL OK, THERE GOES THAT." How can I compete with that? How on Earth can no dollars make a better film than, I don't know, 1,000 of them!?
Certainly there are ways to gather green rectangles rather than calling mom and dad.



Well, well, well for those of you who's fiscal status is mutually not as trust fund-friendly let's embark on a quest entitled: "Film Making With Minimal Financing"
(Brought to you by the various movie making books I've collected and consumed throughout the years and a grand Google search.)

             DO: 

  • Host A House Party
  • Apply For Grants
  • Have A Yard Sale
  • Ask Wealthy Friends With Puppy Dog Eyes If They Truly Believe In Cinema
                                               



DON'T:
  • Shoot By Yourself/Dysfunctional Crew
  • Compare Your Film To Other Films In Preproduction
    • I break this rule all of the time though I've read it EVERYWHERE online AND just as much in the books. It's the toughest one, I admit, but it makes perfect sense if you stop and think about it. Dig deeper and attempt to explain your specific vision. (Stay strong)
  • Attempt To Do It For Free/Neglect To Fundraise


My own personal plan?
  • Neglect to purchase groceries as often as possible - donate funds to feed friends who sacrificed their weekend to slave away behind viewfinders and omni-peppers
  • Ask strangers if they have any change for stamps so you can mail a very important letter (this letter is a lie), repeat on multiple subjects over a course of many days - cash in coins for props
  • Bike More - donate saved funds to gas money for crew (This is what I get for choosing to shoot in Philadelphia, PA)

All I can say is, I came here to make movies and I'm going to do whatever it takes to do just that. I didn't let $50,000 (or whatever repulsive amount we spend to go here) stop me from furthering my education in filmmaking, I'm not going to let a fraction of that stop me from actually filmmaking itself. So saddle up crew...
we're making a movie. 

I also stumbled upon a couple of other helpful resources of sorts that might assist others on their own "babies first movie." I shall link those below for your eyeball browsing pleasure:




No comments: