Friday, September 5, 2014

Story


Stories were always a huge part of my life. When I was younger, my mom would always read to me every night before bed, and not necessarily children’s books. By the third grade, I had already had already had The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lord of the Rings, and most of the Harry Potters books read to me, and I loved them all. The idea that I could be transported to a different world was amazing to me, but it soon it was not enough.
After a wile I needed to create my own stories. Writing however was not an option to me at that age. I am dyslexic so reading and writing were, and sometimes still are, a challenge for me, so I drew. Drawing was a way that I could express myself and tell stories wile avoiding writing. I have continued to do art ever since then and still do today.

Books and art were however not my only source of story. My parents also introduced me to a vast verity of movies (often very strange), Beetlejuice and A Nightmare Before Christmas directed by Tim Burton were some of my favorites. These movies introduced me to worlds of Burton. When I got older I discovered Edward Scissor Hands. This movie directly influenced my decision to study film. It was one of the first movies I saw that was really strange but still made you feel something and wasn’t, just, a comedy (I cant help but tear up every time I see it).

His stop action movies also influenced my filmmaking career. I always loved A Nightmare Before Christmas, and Corps Bride, and later Coraline directed by Henry Selick, and Paranorman directed by Chris Butler and Sam Fell. These moves were, for me, a perfect combination of the bizarre, emotions, and, in a way, were very similar to the two-dimensional art I was used to doing. These movies influenced my decision to make stop action movies for both projects last year in cinema production one, and I ended up loving it. 

No comments: