Friday, September 12, 2014

Cinema...Everything But the Kitchen Sink

I have always been interested in learning.  Every subject in school was an adventure with new secrets to learn.  I value knowledge and education highly.  My dreams changed many times throughout my childhood.  When asked what I wanted to be, I replied an architect, marine biologist, professional jazz musician, astronaut, lawyer and an actress.  Because I was interested in so many things, it took me a long time to finally figure out what I wanted to do with my life.  When I finally discovered filmmaking, I was enthralled by the amount of other fields that cinema production encompassed.  Film allows me to practice in other fields that I love such as science, history, writing, and even music.

For one, cinema is both biological and technological science.  One of the main scientific principles behind cinema is Persistence of Vision.  This is the thought that an afterimage remains on your retina for a fraction of a second after you view an image.   Because of this, many pictures shown quickly in succession appear to be moving in real time in the eye of the viewer.  This lag time in the back of our eyes is the reason why it is possible for people to view films.  Technological science and invention have always been an important part of filmmaking as well.  From the first Vitascope to new green screen technology, new ideas in filmmaking are constantly encouraging new technology to be created.  Cinema also crosses into engineering with its use of the 3-D printer in stop motion animation films like Coraline and ParaNorman. 

History is also present in many films.  Not only does cinema have a wonderful technological and cultural history itself, but cinema can also take an audience back in time to an era that we can not currently experience.  Historical heroes (and villains) are brought back to life and put on display for the world to see.  It is almost if filmmakers can raise the dead and travel through time.

 







Since I was young, writing and storytelling have been a huge part of my life.  I am able to transfer my love of storytelling into screenplays.  There is the basic dramatic structure of a story that is similar between novels and screenplays.  It is beneficial to know basic dramatic structure when writing a screenplay.  Many films are also inspired by books which is a wonderful way to meld literature and the art of filmmaking.

Film also incorporates the music field.  Professional musicians, a well composed score, and a well mixed soundscape can add to the power of a film.  As a musician, I get chills from a soundtrack that helps to enhance the mood of the film.  Music is an integral part of film, and without it, movies would be less impactful. 


Film has the ability to incorporate many outside fields.  It is entertaining, intriguing, and let’s you have the best of everything!  Well...Everything, but the kitchen sink.




No comments: