Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Stop Motion Movie That Never Was

Personally, I have always had an incredible love for stop motion animation. I have all of the Wallace and Gromit shorts on my phone, and have usernames under at least 4 different stop-motion online forums. There is something so magical about how organic the medium is. That is why, about 4 years ago, I set out to make my own stop motion animation film.

The film was called "The Day Job," and it covered a protagonist's first and only day at his new job in a waffle factory. I had storyboarded it, created the puppets, and even constructed the entire waffle factory set. However, other priorities soon overtook my time, and hand animating several hundred frames took a back seat to homework.

Here are some of the pieces of test footage I could recover:

This was a test of gaining an acceptable depth of field, which I had an incredibly hard time doing, without basic knowledge of how depth of field is established.


This is a test of animating the Waffle Omni-Whomper 2000. Basically, it was a waffle iron that I adorned with K'nex, cardboard, paint, and a broken smoke detector. I still have it in my room back home, along with my clay puppets.



One day, I would love to finish this project, as I am pretty sure I still have the original pieces. The passion is still there, and I would love to apply what I now know to film making to completing this project.

No comments: