Monday, May 2, 2011

Telenovelas

Hope everyone's not going too crazy with finals and papers and such this week. If you are, I recommend chocolate and a Disney movie. But anyway.
So for my Spanish class presentation, my group is doing a presentation on telenovelas (Spanish soap operas). While researching for the presentation, we came across an interesting fact for anyone who watched Ugly Betty: the story of Ugly Betty actually started out as a Colombian telenovela. Even though it was only on for a few years, it become megapopular and was adapted by lots of other countries, like Spain and oh hey, the United States. So the storyline of "Ugly Betty" is definitely not an original U.S. creation. Since I wrote my Spanish paper comparing the Colombian, Spanish, and U.S. versions of the show, I can't tell you how many times I've had to write "ugly economist working for a fashion magazine" in Spanish. Seriously though, it was actually pretty interesting looking at what each country did with each plot and what kind of themes and characters they focused on in order to appeal to their own audiences.

No comments: