Monday, May 2, 2011

Fiction I in the bag!

I'm pretty much done with my project, and honestly I don't think it's going to get any better than this. I mean, when I'm taking subpar footage from the Internet and making it into something even more subpar, I can't worry about being HD or having a coherent story or Bananas in Pajamas or what have you. You're getting a trailer for a fake movie festival, and it is what it is. Give us all an A- and have a nice summer.

Look, I get that our stuff is bad. I get that every film has mistakes. There's horrible acting, horrible framing, horrible continuity errors, horrible everything. But film isn't some kind of crystal clean art form any more. It's a business. We're catering toward an audience of viewers, many of whom don't even know what a wide shot is. The framing should be good -- it doesn't have to be perfect -- but it should be good. You want people to have a good time with your movie at the end of the day. You want people to feel like the movie had an impact.

I saw several films at the Doorknobs that had definite problems. However, I enjoyed them nonetheless because there was clear effort into all of them. The stories were good, the acting was... well, I mean, we're not all theatre kids... but they conveyed some kind of message. Communication of a story. That's what happened. Remember, we're in the Park School of Communications, not the Park School of Let's-Nitpick-Every-Single-Thing-In-A-Film.

Anyway, now that my lovely rant is over, I need an idea for my Fiction II film next semester. Who's taking it with me, and who would be up for filming somewhere out of Ithaca? Say, Pennsylvania? No, wait; Montana. Let's go to Montana. Yeahhhh.

See y'all finals week,
Will

No comments: