Thursday, December 5, 2013

Modern Family

When I was home over my break I found my self sucked into a marathon of Modern Family created by Christopher Lloyd and Steve Levitan. Before break I didn't really watch much of the show because I didn't have cable but I knew my own family loved it and that within the Park School and my group of friends it is a strongly liked show.

Getting more into the analysis of the show, I absolutely love all of the characters. There is literally a strong character that  every person can relate too and the crazy dynamic it creates is that of a real family. Not only is the writing for the characters good but it is casted so well. My favorite character is Phil Dunphy played by Ty Burrel. I love his witty awkward but yet smooth humor. It's so easy to match personalities of my own family to characters in the show and I think that's what makes it so funny. Also the writing in general is great, the jokes have so many levels are delivered so smoothly into the normal dialogue. I was actually fortunate enough to meet Christopher Lloyd when he came to Ithaca College last year. He was such a funny and energetic guy that it makes a lot of sense that someone like him helped create a show of such caliber. He also talked to us about the writing for the show and that they're inspired from real events they all experience in their own houses but they need to modify them so they fit into the story line and match the specific characters of the show better.

Along side of the fantastic writing and casting of the show, it also gives off several great messages and seems to be setting the new norms. The first and most obvious social norm it is setting is the stance on homosexual marriage. They have put loving faces and characters to the movement that people can stand behind and think about when addressing this situation in reality. They also address relationships like Jay's and Gloria's. That age isn't a problem when it comes to love and the obstacles of remarrying someone. Finally they also show that the family at a whole is perfect because it is flawed. I think this is such a positive message because it's taking away expectations from society that shows like The Brady Bunch set. Overall I think all of these messages can be summed up by the fact that love is love no matter of race, sexual orientation, or age.


No comments: