Friday, August 30, 2013

The Uncommon Opinion of Orange is the New Black

I've recently (recently being yesterday) begun Orange is the New Black, Netflix's new original series. I heard about it way too much this summer, so I thought I would give it a chance. To preface, I have a three episode rule for television. Before I can make any judgement, I have to watch the first three episodes of a show to give it a chance to show me what it's got. I implemented this rule, because I've been told that I am way too harsh on television shows, specifically female characters. Despite my rule, I went in with a sour taste in mouth, because the trailer showed some poorly written lines and sub-par acting bits. The good part about jumping into a show with low expectations is that it leaves a lot of room to be surprised. And that I was to find I somewhat enjoyed the first three episodes. Still, I have yet to figured out why people are so obsessed with it. Perhaps the premise is just not my cup of tea?

It does really bother me that this show is getting high praise for things that have definitely been done before. I've heard people call OITNB groundbreaking in television for having a protagonist, Piper Chapman, that doesn't run the show or monopolize the story. The show does dive deeper into the past of the secondary inmates through flashbacks, but this is not the first time we've seen this story structure or ensemble style. Lost, anyone? Remember that gem? Jack was our "protagonist," I suppose you could say. But I've never met anyone who would consider him their favorite character. And frankly, the flashbacks in Lost are done much more effectively. The score sets each flashbacks up and brings the audience back to the present afterwards so effortlessly. And in my opinion, those characters were a lot more compelling. Of course, I have only seen the first three episodes. It's possible they'll impress me as time goes on. The point is, Lost is simply an example. Ensemble shows and flashbacks have been done before. And frankly, I'm not impressed by OITNB's use of them.

I will say that one thing I love about OITNB is how much freedom the writers have since it is not a network television show. Especially given the show's premise, it would lack a lot of it's realness if the writers were restricted from talking about sexuality and abortion as opening as they do. This is prison. There is no censorship in prison. I also think the show really sheds light on issues that too much of society is ignorant towards. For instance, the struggles of being transgender and the effects your decision to be who you are has on your family and your entire life. Hopefully, this aspect of the show enlightens those who can be so quick to judge.

So there it is. My opinion after a fair three episodes to win me over. In the end, I have decided to continue watching Orange is the New Black -- not because I am addicted, but I am curious to discover what all the hype is about.

No comments: