Wednesday, October 7, 2009

BCI System- Second Life



"A research team led by professor Jun'ichi Ushiba of the Keio University Biomedical Engineering Laboratory has developed a BCI system - which stands for brain-computer interface - that lets the user walk an avatar through the virtual world that is Second Life without using mouse, keyboard or any other controller but the power of thought."

I had no idea anyone was doing this. I think I'd need a choice though. I wouldn't mind moving my avatar with my brain signals for awhile so long as I could switch to some sort of body motion detection system. I'd enjoy walking in real life in front of a camera and having my avatar do the same.

1 comment:

Twyla W said...

I agree, I think making it more similar to our own "traveling" methods would be kind of nice, but what a great concept for people who have some sort of disability? This could be a very liberating option - and with all the carpal tunnel problems it may not be a bad idea for all of us to give our hands a break from time to time. Very neat idea.