Sunday, September 27, 2009

Learning how to Screen Capture

I spent a little time this weekend thinking about how to make a machinima. I needed to try to find some tools that would allow me to screen capture on a Mac. I've found three options and I believe this one is the cheapest with full functionality at about $60. I haven't yet purchased as I was test driving it (hence the logo on the video clip). This one seems nice because it captures audio either an internal or an external source. For this little clip the music was playing "in world" and the audio is actually better than I would have expected. I clipped the movie a little in iMovie and then uploaded to YouTube. Sorry for the advertising on the screen but I was mostly trying to learn the steps to getting from point A to Point B. All in all this was much easier than I had thought it would be. I would appreciate any feedback anyone has on other software they have used for the Mac.

1 comment:

arturo said...

You are in the right track with iShowU, this is probably the best option for the Mac. I don't know what operating system you are running (10.4, 10.5?) but in any case you don't need to buy the Pro version (60.00) The iShowU if you are running 10.4 or the HD version if 10.5 are enough and they only cost 20-30

It might be possible to record Svideo straight out of the Mac if you have that cable (Pat should have one) I have not tried that but seems to me the best option (and it's free!) since it would be recording real-time. Remember that SL by itself eats up most of your processing power because of intense graphics, so any other program on top of that is going to compromise either frame rate or quality.

Hope this helps, see you tomorrow.