Thursday, February 14, 2013

Paperman

Another Disney related post... sorry guys.

I had the pleasure of watching Paperman today. I had heard awesome things about it and finally got the chance to sit down and enjoy it.   Paperman is a short, black and white animated Disney film.


I appreciated this film for a ton of reasons.  First of all, I really took time to appreciate how the black and white shading of the film affected how the story was told, since our first project is being shot in black and white.  It really added a "classic" aspect to the film.   It helped stray away from when the story took place.  With the exception of some telephones that were a little "old fashioned", it was difficult to tell when the story took place.  Everyone was dressed in business/work attire, which also remains relatively the same among generations.  

Next thing I noticed was the use of many different aspect ratios we discussed in class.  I noticed a lot of the "Golden Ratio" being put to use.  A lot of the shots were very aesthetically pleasing.  Since this is animated, the animator has true control over where everything is placed.  One of the first shots in the filmed shows aspect ratios... 
See?

And probably the thing I appreciated most about this- the relationship between Paperman and Mickey The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  I liked how there was a relationship in the sense that there was life given to inanimate objects.  It was definitely cool to see a reference to an old Disney film. 

Lastly, the amount of characterization to a person who isn't even real.  I never stop being amazed at how characters that are animated touch my heart so close.  This film tells a compelling story, without dialogue, but through emotions of animated characters. 

Needless to say- I really enjoyed Paperman. Job well done. 

No comments: