Friday, September 28, 2012

Coffee, No Cigarettes (we're quitting)

Initially, I wasn't excited about watching "Cigarettes and Coffee"; I'd had an awful day and just didn't want to deal with anything else (seriously, life, stop throwing me shit). But, I did it any way, happily cocooned in my multitude of blankets, and it actually wasn't half bad. As a matter of fact, I was moderately impressed with some of the acting, simply for how spot on the characters were (and for that kind of thing coming from the early nineties). See, having been in several of those positions, though not that of Bill, I understand what they should feel and how they should react. In short, I believed their performances.

I don't know what Anderson told them to do, the bickering couple or the upset friends, but it worked; I felt their emotions through the screen, and thought along with the scene as it progressed. Maybe that makes it predictable, but I didn't mind it whatsoever. It's an interesting idea of having five lives interconnected and somehow in the same diner at once, and makes for some intriguing filming and transitions (ex: shifting between booths).  I'd definitely be game to try something of that sort myself; it takes some planning, sure, but that's half the fun.

Also, an aside: I watched the Fifth Element for the first time during the week...actually not bad, considering what they had to work with at that time, but that's another blog post entirely.

No comments: