Friday, September 6, 2013

Blues Clues: Blast From The Past


Blues Clues was a very big part of my childhood along with Little Bear, Franklin, and various other shows. I remember eating my PB&J while watching Blues Clues with all of my cousins, anticipating my favorite part of the show…MAIL TIME! I have always remembered Steve as the man in the green striped shirt. 


However, out of the blue Steve was replaced with a different man wearing an orange shirt named Joe. I was very upset along with a lot of other children. No one cared for Joe as much as they cared for Steve. We all, at least my cousins and I, were left wondering why Steve left in the first place. 


The long-running show’s rumor mill started to swirl. The rumors claimed Steve committed suicide, died  from a drug overdose, or was run over by a car. As a child I didn’t think to be skeptical, so I believed he died amongst many other Blues Clues watchers. So until this week I have always thought Steve with the green striped shirt was gone forever. I am happy to have found out that he is not dead. In case anyone else didn’t know Steve Burns is very much alive! He just decided it was time for his Blues Clues era to come to an end.

In an interview he gave a more detailed explanation for his departure from the show: "I took this about as far as I could, I guess... It was a really difficult decision, too, because on one hand, if I wanted to, I could do this for a really long time. The show is extraordinarily popular in several countries. I could be like Fred Rogers, which I consider a very noble profession. But I thought, 'Well, is this really what I came to New York to do? Why not quit right when I'm at my peak.' ... I hope I'll be remembered for that show for the rest of my life. That will always be a part of my identity, and I'm totally cool with that."


So for all those 1990’s Blues Clues babies I hope you can finally sleep at night knowing Steve Burns is doing just fine!



No comments: